Episode 24 BOFH 2000 Episode 24 (Quiz no.3)
Sure, they look about as likely to rebel as the pack of mindless sheep that they are - but can they be trusted?
<li style="list-style: none">
Are your users reading forbidden literature?
Are they trying to climb the technical greasy pole behind your back?
How will you know?
Can the cattle prod be trusted to solicit the truth?
It's time to put it to the test!
Put yourself in your users' place and answer these simple questions to see if things are going according to plan at YOUR workplace.
1. A MAC Address is:
2. You ring your Systems and Network people because the server has just gone down and you want to know when it will be up again. You expect them to tell you:
3. The low-power components in your laptop are optimised to run at what voltage?
4. You bring a box of 9 track tapes of your life's work to the operators to read in so that you can download them to your PC. The operator tells you it should be there in an hour. This means:
5. You smell smoke in the building. You know immediately that:
6. The faultiest piece of crap in the building is:
7. The best place to backup your files is:
8. The danger of leaving your machine switched on is:
9. The security and integrity of your email is protected by:
10. A System Administrator slaps a piece of paper down in front of you with lots of large technical words on it... which don't mean anything to you. He also indicates a line, with a large X beside it. You: How did your users do? Nothing to worry about here. Your users are so feeble minded you're lucky they can manage a keyboard without filling it with dribble.
As with B, you're pretty much in the green here. You might want to cancel any geek magazine subscriptions just in case someone's found the bin you're dumping them into.
Still not TOO much to worry about, but you probably want to check offices for books entitled anything "for Dummies" (after cancelling the above mentioned magazine subscriptions).
This looks serious. It would somehow seem that someone technical has slipped through the resume screening process (i.e. the shredder). Did someone say Inquisition?
No no no, you're supposed to pretend to be one of your USERS! Not yourself! What were you thinking? Advance to go and try again! ®